Effects artists working for Jellyfish Pictures were given the award for outstanding visual effects in a broadcast series for their work on the BBC series Fight for Life. The team working on episode four included Philip Dobree, Nicola Instone, Marco Iozzi and Matt Chandler.
BBC and HBO co-production Rome 2 won the award for outstanding supporting visual effects in a broadcast program. Work on Episode six ‘Philippi' was done by London based visual effects companies The Senate, MPC and Rainmaker London.
Outstanding visual effects in a commercial went to Smirnoff - ‘Sea'. Effects work on that advert was completed by Framestore CFC. The Soho effects and post house was also rewarded for its effects on the Chemical Brothers promo 'Salmon Dance' which was voted as the best Animated Character in a Live Action Broadcast Program or Commercial.
Fight for Life
Fight for Life is a medical documentary series in which real-life stories are melded with CGI of the body's internal battle to survive. Animators from Jellyfish Pictures spent six months building clinically accurate models of skin, skeletal systems and internal organs and creating photorealistic interiors of organs, bones and babies. The CGI is so good that the medical profession has requested material for hospital training purposes.
Watch the ‘making of' Fight for Life
With Caesar now gone, the power struggle between his ‘son' Octavian and Mark Anthony forms the central story of Series 2, as the pair pursue ultimate control over Rome and its land. Award-winning effects shots - including vistas of distant Rome, post battle scenes gory wounds and severed hands - were provided by The Senate, MPC and Rainmaker London.
‘Sea' is a Smirnoff spot directed by Daniel Kleinman. The advert shows the ocean as it empties itself of its debris; its battleships, cans, statues, coins and more until it becomes clear, like the vodka. The breathtaking 3D, 2D, post production and effects work was by Framestore CFC.
Full list of winners:
- Visual Effects in a Visual Effects Driven Motion Picture - Transformers
- Supporting Visual Effects in a Motion Picture - Ratatouille
- Visual Effects in a Broadcast Miniseries, Movie or Special - Battlestar Galactica - Razor
- Visual Effects in a Broadcast Series - Fight for Life - Episode 4
- Supporting Visual Effects in a Broadcast Program - Rome 2 - Episode 6 - Philippi
- Visual Effects in a Commercial - Smirnoff ‘Sea'
- Best Single Visual Effect of the Year - Transformers (Desert highway sequence)
- Real Time Visuals in a Video Game - Halo 3
- Pre-Rendered Visuals in a Video Game - World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
- Visual Effects in a Special Venue Project - Sea Monsters
- Animated Character in a Live Action Motion Picture - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Davy Jones)
- Animated Character in an Animated Motion Picture - Ratatouille (Colette)
- Animated Character in a Live Action Broadcast Program or Commercial - Chemical Brothers Salmon Dance
- Effects in an Animated Motion Picture - Ratatouille (food)
For a full list of nominees go here