Discovery Networks International chief content officer Luis Silberwasser is leaving the broadcaster to “pursue new opportunities”.
Silberwasser is to return to his home in Miami having moved to the UK to head up DNI’s content hub in August 2012.
News of his departure emerged after Broadcast revealed Silberwasser’s creative director Julian Bellamy was also leaving the business to join ITV Studios.
Silberwasser joined Discovery in 2002 as a senior vice president of strategic planning and business development before moving to lead the content division of Discovery Latin America.
He created the broadcaster’s international hub in 2011 and oversaw the acquisitions of UK indies Betty TV and Raw TV.
A hunt for a chief creative officer is already under way, effectively combining both Silberwasser and Bellamy’s roles. Discovery is branding the global production position as “one of the biggest jobs in broadcasting.”
- 2011: executive vice-president and chief content officer, Discovery Networks International;
- 2005: general manager, US Hispanic channels and senior vice-president, content, Discovery Latin America;
- 2002: senior vice-president, strategic planning and business development, DNI;
- 1998: vice-president, affiliate sales and marketing, DLA;
- 1991: brand manager, Proctor & Gamble Education Georgia Tech (1986), Harvard Business School (1991)
Lives: Miami, US
Family: Wife, four kids
Watches: The Killing, Modern Family, Mad Men, Deadliest Catch, Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Guilty pleasures: Soccer, running marathons