IBC 2014: Fifa TV’s coverage of the Brazil World Cup helped the media rights and broadcast arm of football’s world governing body to scoop two awards at this year’s IBC Awards.
It triumphed in the International Honour for Excellence category and also won the Judge’s Prize for its broadcasting and multiplatform coverage of this summer’s tournament.
Peter Owen, chair of the IBC Council which picks the winner of the International Honour for Excellence award, said: “Fifa TV continues to innovate and to engage with its huge global audience.
“It brings together the latest technologies and leading vendors to deliver unmatched content to unrivalled audiences.”
Director of Fifa TV Niclas Ericson said: “I am delighted to accept this award on behalf of Fifa, and our deepest thanks go to IBC for this honour and recognition.
“It also pays a fitting tribute to the dedication of our industry-leading service providers who help us deliver the very best coverage of the Fifa World Cup to football fans all over the world.
“Together, we are able to make the World Cup a truly global experience for everyone. We look forward to continuing this pioneering work with the broadcast industry as we offer the unique platform of the Fifa World Cup to help drive technology forward.”
Fifa TV acknowledged the contribution of 14 partner organisations, led by HBS, the host broadcast organisation, with Sony (4K capture and production), NHK (4K and 8K), Telegenic (4K outside broadcast production), EVS (multimedia and 4K), Deltatre (multimedia and 4K), Eutelsat (4K), TV Globo (4K), Eurovision EBU (4K), Netco Sports (multimedia), Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute (360° Ultra HD capture), Boxframe (4K), Dolby (4K) and Fujinon (4K lenses).
- International Honour for Excellence Fifa TV
- Judges’ Prize Fifa TV: Advanced broadcasting and multi-platform coverage of the 2014 Fifa World Cup
- Special Award Wiener Staatsoper: Opera Live at Home
- Innovation Award Content Creation Sky Sports: Monday Night Football
- Innovation Award Content Management Sky News Arabia: Project SkyNet
- Innovation Award Content Delivery Turner Sports: NBA League Pass
- Best Conference Paper Award ‘DVB-T2 Lite - exploiting HDTV networks for services to mobile receivers’ (G Alberico, A Bertella, S Ripamonti, M Tabone)
- Best Larger Free-Design Stand Sony - 12.A10
- Best Smaller Free-Design Stand Tech4home - 3.C46
- Most Imaginative Use of Shell Scheme Space Veset - 8.A14