New weekly show will aim to show sport from a different angle
Warner Bros. Discovery Sports will premiere The Power Of Sport on Eurosport, discovery+, and Eurosport Player at 7pm on 4 May.
Produced by Buzz16, the 18-week weekly show will feature interviews with some of the biggest personalities from across the globe, look at the best of the recent sports action and towards the week of sport ahead, plus harness Warner Bros. Discovery Sports’ content archive to look back at some of the iconic sporting moments from yesteryear.
The first episode will look forward to the Giro d’Italia and look back at round one of the new Speedway GP season from Gorican, Croatia.
It will aim to show sport from a literal different angle, with camerawork that aims to give viewers different angles than the ones they are used to during regular sports production.
Selection of The Power Of Sport interviewees
- Janja Garnbret (Olympic Sport Climbing champion), the first-ever female to win an Olympic gold medal in Sport Climbing
- Susie Wolff (CEO, ROKiT Venturi Racing, Formula E), who aims to motivate and inspire female talent to bring diversity in motorsport
- Jonathan Rea (six-time Superbike World Champion), the winner of the most Superbike World Championships in the history of the sport
- Tim Gajser (three-time MXGP World Champion), no-one has won more Motocross Grand Prix titles than the Slovenian rider
- Bartosz Zmarzlik (two-time Speedway Grand Prix World Champion), the Polish superstar is widely regarded as the best speedway rider in the world at the moment
- Toprak Razgatlioglu (Superbike World Champion), the current Superbike World Champion who has 18 race wins to his name
- Stephen Roche (1987 Giro d’Italia, Tour de France and World Championship winner), became only the second cyclist to claim the Triple Crown, winning the Tour de France, the Giro d’Italia, as well as the World Road Race Championship
Narration will be provided by a range of emerging sports broadcasting voices, including including Warner Bros. Discovery Sports golf presenter Henni Koyack, freelance reporter Anne-Marie Batson and journalists Hugh Woozencroft and Jordan Jarrett Bryan.
Scott Young - senior vice president, content and production, Warner Bros. Discovery Sports Europe, said: “As a multi-sport broadcaster in 50 markets in Europe, the depth of Warner Bros. Discovery Sports’ localised content and live sport offering is unparalleled but it is also our mission to tell the personal stories of sportspeople to our audiences.
“Our ambition is to convey the experiences, emotions and achievements of athletes through a gritty, unfiltered and authentic new programme that goes far beyond the live competitions alone. By providing a platform for a diverse range of voices to tell their stories, we can truly unlock the power of sport through purposeful programming that will resonate with our audiences and partners.”