The founder and owner of Stanley Productions, Stanley Aarons, died on 31 December after a long illness.

The Wardour Street business was set up nearly 40 years ago after Aarons, who started his career as a clapper boy at Denham Studios, saw a gap in the market for a business that could supply film stock rapidly and economically.

Stanley Productions went on to stock equipment and accessories for the TV and film industry, and offered copying and duplicating services and repairs.

Former employee of Stanley Productions and Aarons’ cousin Sheila Bond said that over the decades the company became a byword in the TV and film industry for rapid and reliable service.

“It was a matter of pride to Stanley that however unreasonable the request, they usually came up trumps,” she said. 

“Stanley was the driving force and inspiration behind the business; he built it entirely through his own dedication, hard work and insight into what customers wanted and he had a totally ‘hands-on’ approach.

“He would serve customers, place orders, check stock and answer the phone - often all at the same time!

“Stanley never had his own office, just an area in the corner surrounded by boxes, catalogues and order books where he could observe everything that was going on.

“Meetings with suited and booted top executives from international organisations were conducted in this confined and cluttered space.” 

At its peak, Stanley Productions had three premises and almost 50 employees.

“Many of the staff remained loyal for decades, developing a great personal affection and admiration for Stanley,” added Bond. “He also developed enduring relationships with many of his suppliers and customers.” 

Stanley Productions went into voluntary liquidation last year. The company has since been revived as part of The Television Set.

“It was a matter of great sadness to Stanley that the combined effects of his serious illness, the recession and the digitisation of the industry led to the closure of the business,” said Bond.

“Without a doubt, Stanley was a legend in the industry. He will be sadly missed and fondly remembered.”

The funeral took place on 3 January.

Donations can be sent to The North London Hospice: